Churches of Ben Hill County
Click thumbnail above to go to church page with additional photos and history
Ben Hill County covers 252 square miles of south central Georgia. Georgia’s 146th county was carved from Irwin and Wilcox counties in 1906 and is named for Benjamin Hill, a U.S. senator who served as Troup County’s state representative and senator in the mid-1800s. The county seat is Fitzgerald, founded in 1895 by Philander H. Fitzgerald, a newspaperman from Indiana.The Historic District on South Lee and South Main streets of Fitzgerald are listed on the National Register, and the old railroad depot is now home to the Blue and Gray Museum. Other area attractions that should not be missed are the Fitzgerald Fire Department Museum and the Jefferson Davis Memorial Historic Site.
The county has only one incorporated city, Fitzgerald, which was founded by former Union soldiers on a 50,000 acre tract owned by the non-profit American Tribune Soldiers Colony Company. The citizens of Fitzgerald, pledging unity with their former enemies, named streets after leaders of both armies. The early concentration of population in the city aided the county’s industrial development. The colony also founded the first public school in Georgia to offer free books and tuition. The courthouse was built in the first decade of the twentieth century and renovated during the 1950s and is still in use. The courthouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.