Churches of Coweta County
Click thumbnail above to go to church page with additional photos and history
Coweta County was one of five counties created by the 1825 Treaty of Indian Springs, when Chief William McIntosh relinquished Creek Indian lands to the United States. The treaty was very contoversial among the Creeks and McIntosh was slain by an irate group of fellow Creeks at his home on the Chattahoochee River. Legend has it that he received gold in exchange for the lands and that the gold was buried and never found. Coweta was named after McIntosh’s tribe and their town, one of the largest centers for the Creek Nation. Early settlements in Coweta included Calico Corner (Grantville), Willow Dell (Senoia – named after William McIntosh’s mother,) Bullsboro and the county seat of Newnan, established in 1828. It was named for General Daniel Newnan, a Revolutionary War (1775-83) hero and Georgia’s secretary of state at the time the county was established.
Newnan ultimately became the main economic center for the county, although smaller communities were scattered throughout the region. By 1840, the beginning of the golden era in the South, orderly streets lined with mansions and cottages reflected the growing prosperity of Coweta County. By mid-century the railroads brought greater fortune and sophistication to the community. The Male Academy and College Temple — a prestigious school and the first to offer a Master of Arts for women — were providing educational opportunities in Newnan. By 1860 the county had grown to almost 15,000 people, evenly divided between whites and blacks, with plantations and farms the main means of income.
The Civil War (1861-65) brought changes to Coweta County. The War Between the States caused a slowing in Coweta County’s growth as sawmills fell silent, the railroads became part of the war effort and cotton production severely diminished. The beautiful antebellum homes found throughout Coweta County are said to have survived because of superb craftsmanship, tireless restoration efforts and the strategies of Confederate General Joe Wheeler who routed brigades of Union troops in the July 1864 Battle of Brown’s Mill, just southwest of Newnan. Although the county had some war activity, Newnan became known as “the hospital city of the Confederacy,” because of its location on the Atlanta and West Point Railroad, and its distance from the heaviest battles. Newnan, the largest town in Coweta was selected to host a hospital for treating the wounded. Eventually Newnan would have seven hospitals and treat more than 10,000 soldiers from both sides. Many soldiers, including 269 Confederates who died in the town’s hospitals, were buried in nearby Oak Hill Cemetery.
Coweta County citizens worked hard after the devastation of the war and through that work and resilience, by the early 1900’s, a surge in industrial development had been firmly established. By the late 20th Century, Coweta County began to experience a tremendous boom in growth, putting it consistently in the top 100 growth counties in the United States. In the twentieth century, Newnan became known as “the City of Homes.” Many of the historic homes that line the streets of the town are listed on the National Register. Historic preservation has become an important part of life in Coweta County, and other communities, including Grantville, Moreland, Roscoe, Senoia, and Sharpsburg are involved in efforts to preserve regional heritage.