Glendale Chapel

Glendale Chapel Methodist

Sardis Presbyterian

Sardis Presbyterian

Oostanaula MethodistOostanaula Methodist

Possum Trot Church

Possum Trot Church

Chubb Chapel United MethodistChubb Chapel

Churches of Floyd County

Click thumbnail above to go to church page with additional photos and history

Floyd County was created from Cherokee County on Dec. 3, 1832 by an act of the General Assembly.  Georgia’s 88th county was named for Gen. John Floyd, who was involved in various campaigns against the Creek Indians in the early 1800s and later served in the Georgia General Assembly and U.S. Congress.

By 1830, the Cherokee Nation consisted of most of northwest Georgia, plus adjoining areas in Alabama, Tennessee, and North Carolina.  Even while Cherokee Indians remained on their homeland in Georgia, the General Assembly on Dec. 21, 1830 enacted legislation claiming “all the Territory within the limits of Georgia, and now in the occupancy of the Cherokee tribe of Indians; and all other unlocated lands within the limits of this State, claimed as Creek land” (Ga. Laws 1830, p. 127).  The act also provided for surveying the Cherokee lands in Georgia; dividing them into sections, districts, and land lots; and authorizing a lottery to distribute the land.  On Dec. 26, 1831, the legislature designated all land in Georgia that lay west of the Chattahoochee River and north of Carroll county as “Cherokee County” and provided for its organization.  However, the new county was not able to function as a county because of its size and the fact that Cherokee Indians still occupied portions of the land.

On Dec. 3, 1832, the legislature added areas of Habersham and Hall counties to Cherokee County, and then divided the entire area into nine new counties — Cass (later renamed Bartow), Cobb, Floyd, Forsyth, Gilmer, Lumpkin, Murray, Paulding, and Union — plus a reconstituted and much smaller Cherokee County.  Cherokee lands were distributed to whites in a land lottery, but the legislature temporarily prohibited whites from taking possession of lots on which Cherokees still lived.  By 1833, however, whites began occupying areas of Floyd County.

The official basis for Georgia claiming possession of all Cherokee lands in Georgia was the Treaty of New Echota of Dec. 29, 1835.  In this treaty, a faction of the Cherokees agreed to give up all Cherokee claims to land in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and North Carolina and move west in return for $5 million. Though a majority of Cherokees opposed the treaty and refused to leave, the U.S. and Georgia considered it binding.  In 1838, U.S. Army troops rounded up the last of  15,000 Cherokees in Georgia and forced them to march west in what came to be known as the “Trail of Tears.”

To read the entire text of the treaty click here.