Churches of Stewart County
Click thumbnail above to go to church page with additional photos and history
Stewart County, created by the state legislature in 1830, was named for Daniel Stewart, an Indian fighter, Revolutionary War (1775-83) veteran, and the great-grandfather of U.S. president Theodore Roosevelt. Rich in historic, natural, archaeological, architectural, and cultural resources, Stewart County is nevertheless poor in wealth. At the zenith of the county’s prosperity in 1850, Stewart ranked as the tenth most populous in Georgia. By 2003 it was the state’s ninth least populous county.According to the 2010 U.S. census, the population was 6,058, an increase from the 2000 population of 5,252.
Thousands of years ago Native Americans recognized the many strategic advantages of the land known today as Stewart County. Located along the fall line, Stewart County’s entire western border is composed of the Chattahoochee Rive and the Alabama state line. Only about twenty miles downriver from Columbus (the northerly point of large-craft navigation), Stewart County traditionally provided a link between the Piedmont Region of Georgia and the Gulf of Mexico.
The first Europeans in present-day Stewart County were the Spanish, who moved through the area about 1639. However, legal settlement began with the state’s fifth land lottery, held in 1827. Unfortunately, the treaty that wrested west Georgia from Native Americans ended in conflict. By 1836 the remaining Creek Indians began ambushing homes and communities in desperation. The settlers called on Governor Schley for protection. Schley sent state militia volunteers from Gwinnette County to establish three local forts—Ingersoll, Jones, and McCreary. On May 15, 1836, the river settlement of Roanoke was burned by a reported 300 Indians. On June 9 the Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation marked an end to skirmishes in the county and, essentially, in the state.